Hipsters? Civil War Re-enactors on a Wi-Fi Break? Or Rogue Amish?
What is it in American culture right now that in order to find what’s hip, we’re forced to look at what was hip over 100 years ago?
Pennsylvania Dutch is the newest hipster-inspired trend, from small-scale subsistence farming to utilitarian burlap clothing, antiquity now seems to be very modern.
Particularly in New England; Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and western Massachusetts, new farming coops and instructional organizations for helping new, mostly young, farmers get off their feet have been popping up. In addition to the popularized farmers markets that seem to have rekindled interest in locally grown food, the new hipster wave is moving in to take it to the next level. How do we know that the 1% of culture-mongers are glomming on to this new-old phenomenon? Last year The New York Times ran a full-page fashion spread called “Amish Fashion Week”, featuring men in simple cotton, and wool shirts, unadorned pants and broad-brimmed hats, according to TIME.com. In addition, LA Times ran an interview with an LA hairdresser that grew up Amish, raving about her rural survival chops, including butchering large animals and canning her own food.
What is it in American culture right now that in order to find what’s hip, we’re forced to look at what was hip over 100 years ago? Certainly our reliance on, and constant integration of, technology into every facet of our lives is prodding a kind of anti-cool movement toward the older, the simpler, and the tools-without-buttons. In other words, it’s the “we’re doing it because no one’s doing it” approach to cool. With such a premium brand-name clothing and accessories, it doesn’t take long for some innovative hipster to think of attaching status to cover-alls.
Health food, organic food, and the so-called “green” movement has no doubt played a part in the new retro, putting a premium on locally grown food, urban farming, and playing the socially-conscious consumer. Natural fabrics, foods, and living has become more popular than it ever has been (since we had a choice), and the new hipster is no doubt exploring the great path of anachronistic purity al naturale.
Who are these guys anyway?
- mymusiclist likes this
- expensiveplastic3000 reblogged this from thecivilwarparlor
- travy88 reblogged this from thecivilwarparlor
- nvmvste reblogged this from thecivilwarparlor
- nvmvste likes this
- sarlett reblogged this from thecivilwarparlor
- for-wonderful-i-am likes this
- wormwoodd reblogged this from thecivilwarparlor
- wormwoodd likes this
- maaria13 likes this
- burningdowndarkblue likes this
- ninjathenigma likes this
- kandidcamera likes this
- gumidomino likes this
- whereiwoundup reblogged this from thecivilwarparlor
- inv0luntarily likes this
- wanshang-hao likes this
- dancingonflowerpetals reblogged this from sittingontheedgeofastar
- sittingontheedgeofastar reblogged this from thecivilwarparlor
- non-amish-selfies likes this
- thelightitburns likes this
- wanderingthroughthebay likes this
- maddy-314 likes this
- nuclearsad reblogged this from thecivilwarparlor
- emilyblei likes this
- fcukingfantastic likes this
- mermaidxcastle reblogged this from thecivilwarparlor
- mermaidxcastle likes this
- b-o-h-e-m-i-a-n-b-e-a-u-t-y likes this
- its-my-choice-for-once reblogged this from its-my-choice-for-once
- acwsuk likes this
- itsanemptytomb reblogged this from thecivilwarparlor
- y0itskameron reblogged this from thecivilwarparlor and added:
- y0itskameron likes this
- gabmarsue likes this
- karsebow likes this
- pepperalley likes this
- naynay4121 likes this
- imyourking reblogged this from thecivilwarparlor
- pananner likes this
- cacafueg0 reblogged this from hey-lady-wanderlust
- pandamiglio likes this
- itsthespot likes this
- creativeonion reblogged this from thecivilwarparlor and added:
- lostinmyowncontradictions likes this
- firefaye reblogged this from thecivilwarparlor
- foxuniqueirony likes this
- falnfenix reblogged this from rsalamony and added:
- rsalamony reblogged this from thecivilwarparlor and added:
- itinerantpoet reblogged this from thecivilwarparlor