On November 18, 1915, the Confederate Women’s Home opened in Fayetteville. Mrs. Hunter G. Smith proposed establishment of a home in North Carolina for Confederate widows and daughters some years earlier during the 1908 convention of the North Carolina Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC).
The UDC accepted responsibility for the home’s operation. To live in the home a woman had to be sixty-five or older; a wife, daughter, or widow of a Confederate veteran; and in need. She also had to sign her property and pension over to the state. Today, 65 women are buried in a cemetery on the grounds.